Saturday, April 10, 2010



I've often thought January is a dumb place to start a new year. Makes much more sense to start a year when the tulips are blooming, birds are raising a riot in the pink trees, skies are peacock blue, and tiny seedlings are pushing up in the vegetable beds. It may be all sorts of poetic to think of April as the cruelest month but I consider it the most hopeful.

Great time to plan sweeping changes in your life when all of Nature is setting a good example - nudging toward a bright future. Which could be why I picked this week to set into motion a "career change". (I put that in quotes because I don't think I've ever actually had what I'd consider a career. "Career" is such a grand and rather pompous term.) I'm all signed up to start training as a yoga instructor! - with an emphasis on yoga for seniors. I'm also very interested in the uses of yoga in treating stress-related problems such as post-traumatic stress disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, drug addiction, depression - there are some very promising studies on the benefits of yoga for people with these challenges. And who of us doesn't know someone trying to cope with one or more of those?!

I know first hand how life-changing yoga can be. You should see us at the senior center moving through our tree poses, pigeon poses, stretches and bends - many of us who barely made it out of the recliner last year! What could be more exciting than the opportunity to improve the quality of life for yourself and others? This promises to be a wonderful adventure! Now if you'll excuse me I have to roll out my daffodil yellow yoga mat on the deck under a brilliant early spring sky. Ahaaaaa.

P.S. Progress Report: down another five pounds since last post and the cholesterol and blood pressure are now officially normal. Hurray! Keep on keepin' on.

1 comment: